tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 29 04:57:12 1997

KLBC: Beginners grammarian

A newcomer wrote to me in private e-mail:

}Hi, I'm an aspiring treker who wants to learn the Klingon language.

majQa'!

}I've subscribed to the klingon email list ([email protected]), but
}realise i know too little for this to be of much befit, I was wondering
}if you could direct me onto a very much beginners path to the Klingon
}language.

The tlhIngan-Hol list *is* a beginners' route, you just have to get in the
right lane.  The posts marked with the letters 'KLBC' are by or for
beginners, and you're free to delete everything else, if the esoteric
arguments about the finer points of the language, and the all-Klingon posts
aren't to your tastes. Make your best shot at posting *something* in
Klingon, include the letters KLBC in the subject line, and I'll follow up to
tell you how to get closer to ta' Hol (the Emperor's Tongue), and maybe give
you some exercises to get you started.

I'm following up your e-mail to the list, because I know that there are a
number of active list members who started out with not much more than a
misspelled {nuqneH}, and I don't want you to have to take my word for the
fact that you can learn tlhIngan Hol here. You will have to study your TKD
and work at the language, but there is no better forum to practice tlhIngan
Hol, be it your first sentence or your second Shakespeare translation. Tell
him, guys ...

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level