tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 29 04:57:14 1997

Re: indefinite subject

At 02:24 97-11-28 -0800, QetlhIS wrote:

}Which of the [below] versions is correct, and why, and why is
}the rest wrong. I'm at a loss there :)

}1.) Dat 'u'Daq qu' tlhInganpu' net Qub.

qar.

You're worried about {net} vs. {-lu'} but it's the {Dat 'u'Daq} that catches
my attention first.  Because {Dat} doesn't take {-Daq}, I'm pretty sure it
works: it's as if you had two separate locative phrases. Note that {wutlh
Qo'noSDaq} would likely come out as  "in the undergound's Qo'noS" or "at
Qo'noS of the underground" NOT as "underground on Qo'noS."   Remember the
meanings of noun-noun.  The {net Qub} is correct.

}2.) Dat 'u'Daq qu' tlhInganpu' 'e' luQublu'.

qarbe'.

The prefix {lu-} is for third person plural subjects with third person
singular objects.  The indefinite subject implied by the suffix {-lu'} is
singular. I strongly suspect it remains singular even in situations where
one could argue it implied plural.  In every case we've seen, a Klingon
collective is grammatically singular.

}3.) Dat 'u'Daq qu' tlhInganpu' 'e' Qublu'.

qarlaw'.

Had we not seen {'e' <verb>-lu'} in canon, I would tell you that it should
be replaced with {net <verb>}.  As it is, we've seen both.  They are
identical in meaning, but from the instructions in TKD I would say {net
<verb>} is preferred.

}4.) qu' tlhInganpu'. Dat 'u'Daq net Qub.

qarbe'.

The word {net} stands in for the sentence in the first half of the 'sentence
as object' construction.  {Dat 'u'Daq} is not a sentence.

}5.) qu' tlhInganpu'. Dat 'u'Daq 'e' luQublu'.
}6.) qu' tlhInganpu'. Dat 'u'Daq 'e' Qublu'.

As #4.

}Everywhere in the universe one thinks that klingons are wild.

Fierce, actually, but not an unreasonable translation.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level