tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 28 12:07:32 1997

Re: bIQ'a' Doq bIngDaq

ja'"Anthony.Appleyard" <[email protected]>:
> >  wa' loDvaD lutvetlh vIja'DI', "mu(be_jealous)moHmo' 'oH yIja'chuqbe'".
>  The man said "Don't tell me (of your diving there), as (telling me of those
>dives) makes me jealous".

Ugh.  It's hard to read through the pervasive parentheses, but I think you
are getting hung up trying to translate an English sentence directly.  Try
to express the idea in Klingon grammar *before* looking up the vocabulary.
And remember that Klingon grammar is a lot easier when your sentences stay
short.

  The man said, "Don't describe it to me.  I get jealous when you do."

  ja' loD <jIHvaD yIDelQo'.  jI"be-jealous"choH DaDelDI'.>

>  "Are more than one state verbs after one noun legal?" sounds like a query
>for Okrand to sort out, unless there are canon examples of either {<noun>

The Warrior's Anthem has {yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'}, which is confusing
as it doesn't follow any explicit rules written down anywhere, and it's not
obvious how to derive it.  I'm going to wait for either an explanation or
more examples before using it as something to emulate.

KGT page 82 has a lot of examples of verbs used to describe color.  One of
them is {SuD Dargh 'ej wov} "The tea is {SuD} and light", and the next one
is {SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh} "The tea that is {SuD} and light".  Notable
by its absence is any example of two verbs used "adjectivally" on the same
noun.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level