tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 11:59:14 1997

Re: [proposal] translation for directions.

At 17:34 97-11-26 -0800, Qermaq wrote:
}ghItlh Qov:
}
}What Qov, who is overworked yet dedicated, forgot to mention is to put KLBC
}in the subject of a post if you want her specifically to answer it.

I got it in eventually. :) DaHjaj jabbI'IDmey vIDuDbej.

}>jajlo' lurgh
}>ram choS lurgh
}
}Why not just <choS lurgh>?

Twilight can refer to the low light of dawn or of evening.

}>pem bIr Hov lurgh
}
}I don't get this one, Qov. "Daytime's cold star direction"? What about
}<DungluQ QIb lurgh>?

Qap.

}http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/current/0847.html -Daq ghItlh Phillipe:
}
}>The dogs are hidding about 2 kilometers to the south of here.
}
}I think Qov should look at this one - but I'll take a crack at it.

tlhoS vIleghbe', 'ach vItu'.

}<DungluQ QIb lurgh qelI'qam wa'SaDDIchDaq So'taH Ha'DIbaHpu'>

"In the direction of the noon shadow's one thousandtlh kellicam, the beasts
are hiding themselves."

There's a problem with the number.  I can't tell why you used the {-DIch}
suffix, or why you used "one thousand" to mean two.  Why not just {wa'
qelI'qam} or {cha' qelI'qam}? Am I missing a step in the logic?

Even so, I don't think I like {<direction> <distance>-Daq} is likely the way
to say "<distance> in <direction>."  It isn't impossible, but it's a big
assumption.  We may be missing a verb "to be a distance away of" to do this
the way a Klingon would, but we can describe the course.

DungluQ QIb lurghDaq So'taH HaDIbaH.  chaHDaq wa' qelI'qam 'ab He.

"The beasts are hiding towards the noon shadow's direction/in the direction
of the noon shadow.  The route to them is a qelI'qam long."

{'ab} might not be appropriate for measuring a route.

I've addressed my change of heart regarding {Ha'DIbaHpu'} in another
message: it seems that when a word of one plural class is used as a metaphor
for another class it keeps its original plural suffix.  So I've weaseled
here by using none. :)

In another message, SuStel writes:

> To indicate a distance in kellicams, just add it to the end.
> wa' vI' vagh qelI'qam
> wa'vatlh vaghmaH vatlhvI' qelI'qam

Am I missing canon for this, or am I just being paranoid about possible
weirdness in using differnt sorts of numbers?  I know {cha' qelI'qam} is
"two kilometres" and {qelI'qam cha'DIch} is "the second kilometre" ... where
is the use of percentages and decimals attested?

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level