tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 07:01:30 1997

Re: [proposal] translation for directions.

In a message dated 97-11-26 16:16:53 EST, Phillipe Lavoie writes:

<<
 I need to translate north, south, east and west.

 I came up with the followings

 north: jenHov   (high star)
 south: jenHovQIb (high star shadow)
 east: vemHov  (waking star)
 west: QongHov (sleeping star)

---------------peHruS------------------
You will probably read several replies.  Often our Beginners' Grammarian,
Qov, answers such questions.  Often other who have been using tlhIngan Hol
for several years will answer.  I started speaking tlhIngan Hol in 1993.
  So, I will jump in with the little I know about translating directions.

KGT (Klingon for the Galactic Traveller) states that we say we are heading in
the direction of another city, landmark, district, etc.  So, I think you are
right in looking at particular stars as landmarks.  However, KGT also gives
us insight into the fact that we need to know from where the speakers and
listeners are starting.

I would say:  {veng wa'DIchDaq jIHtaH 'ej Qotmagh Sep lurgh vIghoS vIneH} for
"I am at First City and I want to go toward the Krotmag Region."

Should both speakers and listeners already be aware of where they are, they
can dispense with "I am at...."

So, I would not look for words for "north", etc. in future editions of
Klingon dictionaries, either.  I suspect Klingon will remain as Hawaiian
always has been, we will simply state the landmark toward which we will go.

Note:  {lurgh} means "direction".

batlh maghojjaj     Qapla'     peHruS

Back to archive top level