tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 09:18:27 1997

Re: north, south, east, west and distances

|----------------peHruS here----------------

|--------------------------------QovvaD----------------------
|mu' {voghDaq} 'emDaq 'oHtaHbogh mojaQ {-Daq} vInge'laH'a'
|laHbe' 'e' vIpIH

Its sole appearance in canon:

	vogh vISuch vIneH
	I want to visit someplace. (CK)

{Such} doesn't require {-Daq} however:

	yejquv vaS'a' vISuch vIneH
	I want to visit the Great Hall of the High Council. (CK)

	cha'puj tlhIlHal vISuch vIneH
	I want to visit the dilithium mines. (CK)

Whether {vogh} should be included in the list of adverbials on p. 27 of TKD
which never take {-Daq} was discussed some time back. The argument boiled
down to whether {naDev}, {pa'} and {Dat} was a comprehensive listing (only
these three) or representative (the three most common, or the first three
examples Okrand thought of). As often happens, neither side convinced the
other. Personally, I feel it would behave the same. As peHruS pointed out,
{vogh} is often overlooked. We need more data.

Voragh

Back to archive top level