tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 20:25:17 1997

Re: -moH (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

lab pagh
> <-moH> ngach ghunchu'wI' charghwI' je.
>
> TKD gives <ghojmoH> as "teach, instruct" in a separate entry. I
> don't know whether this entry is an entirely different verb or just
> <ghoj> plus <-moH>, but it does clearly indicate that we can use
> <jIghojmoH> for "I teach".

No, it doesn't indicate that.  It's quite possible for a defective
verb to be included in a wordlist.  It's possible that {Dej} can't be
used in the first person, that {yaj} can never be reflexive, that
{lIq} takes a preposition we've never heard of.  These things are
highly unlikely based on what we've seen, and don't seem to fit
Marc's pattern, but if Klingon were a natural language I was
studying, I wouldn't even blink to learn they were true.  Languages
are *weird* (and wonderful) :).

I happen to support {jIghojmoH}, too, but TKD doesn't prove it.

Some things we know to be true about tlhIngan Hol. Some things we
know to be false.  There's a whole gradient in between.  I figure you
have to decide where each proposal sits on the gradient, and decide
how far along the gradient you will use and will accept the language.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level