tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 23 10:54:04 1997

-moH (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 13:06:27 -0800 (PST) "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> <-moH> ngach ghunchu'wI' charghwI' je.
>
> charghwI' has argued that a no object prefix cannot be used on a
> transitive verb with -moH. ghunchu'wI' disagrees and gave some examples,
> including <jIghojmoH> for "I teach". charghwI' rejected this and other
> examples. I need to think more on charghwI''s general argument, but for
> this particular example, he is wrong. TKD gives <ghojmoH> as "teach,
> instruct" in a separate entry. I don't know whether this entry is an
> entirely different verb or just <ghoj> plus <-moH>, but it does clearly
> indicate that we can use <jIghojmoH> for "I teach". Whether this can be
> generalized will certainly be the subject of a long debate.
>
> pagh

Well, as one might expect, I disagree that {ghojmoH} is
different from any other verb with {-moH} on it. It is a happy
accident that we have a different verb for teach than we do for
learn, but Klingon doesn't, so if Okrand did not list {ghojmoH}
as a separate entry in the dictionary, if you looked up "teach",
you would not find it. I'm convinced that is the only reason it
is listed there.

Meanwhile, just because you can say, "I teach" in English does
not mean you can say "I cause to learn" in Klingon. The problem
is that what you really have there is an infinitive, which
Okrand says Klingon doesn't have, though it does seem to have it
in verbs using {-meH} in many examples.

By "infinitive", I mean a verb with no subject. Klingon has
{-lu'} specifically because it can't tolerate the use of a verb
with no subject. It has no problem with the object being vague
or missing, but there has to be a subject on all Klingon verbs
(except many times, verbs with {-meH} in Okrand's own examples).
When using {-moH} on an intransitive verb, the description we've
been given about the grammar is that the subject indicated by
the verb prefix refers to the agent of causation. The object
indicated by the verb's prefix is the subject of the root verb.

ghunchu'wI' is proposing that it is okay for the root verb to
not have a subject. That is what sets my teeth on edge. By
saying that a verb with {-moH} needs no object, you are saying
that its root verb needs no subject. The root verb becomes an
infinitive. {*jIghojmoH} doesn't mean "I teach". It means "I
cause to learn". "To learn" is an infinitive. There is no
subject. Klingon doesn't do that, except sometimes with {-meH}
when it translates as "in order to [root]" instead of "in order
that x [root]s".

Perhaps this is the second grammatical area where there is an
exception to the general rule that Klingon verbs are never in
the form of an infinitive. I think this is a big enough leap to
take cautiously. It makes sense in English because English has
infinitives very casually. All verbs have an infinitive form and
verbs are often used as infinitives in English.

I'm concerned that this may be another blind spot created by the
nature of English, similar to the one created because our
relative pronouns look just like our question words. English has
infinitives. It is very natural for us to want to use them in
Klingon as well, but in most cases we can't. I'm not convinced
this {jI[root]moH} idea is a good use of them.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level