tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 21:08:56 1997

Re: understanding {-moH} (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

At 15:15 97-11-21 -0800, qoror wrote:
}ghItlh HomDoq
}>obviously this is at least ambiguous but wasn't the one example from
}>TKD with {-moHlu'} of a similar kind? I may misremember, though.
}
}Almost.  A sentence with {-moH} and translated with passive.  Page 170:
}
}nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
}Where can I get my shoes cleaned?
}
}I had trouble with this at first, but this could be equally translated as
}"Where can I get my shoes clean?"

It is literally "Where can I clean my shoes?"  The translation implies that
Klingons get others to clean their shoes so routinely, that that does not
need to be said.  Like if you said "Where can I repair my toaster" you would
be understood to be looking for a small appliance repair shop, not a flat
counter and a screwdriver.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level