tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 11:54:26 1997

-moH (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

<-moH> ngach ghunchu'wI' charghwI' je.

charghwI' has argued that a no object prefix cannot be used on a
transitive verb with -moH. ghunchu'wI' disagrees and gave some examples,
including <jIghojmoH> for "I teach". charghwI' rejected this and other
examples. I need to think more on charghwI''s general argument, but for
this particular example, he is wrong. TKD gives <ghojmoH> as "teach,
instruct" in a separate entry. I don't know whether this entry is an
entirely different verb or just <ghoj> plus <-moH>, but it does clearly
indicate that we can use <jIghojmoH> for "I teach". Whether this can be
generalized will certainly be the subject of a long debate.

pagh

Back to archive top level