tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 17 11:23:55 1997

Re: KLBC tlhIngan yot - 'ay' cha'DIch (was Re: KLBC naDev

ghItlh Qov
> }QeHchoH bomraq 'ej loD HoH neH 'e' jatlh.
> }Bomrak gets angry and says he wants to kill the man.
>
> Remember that {jatlh} is an exception to the SAO construction.  No {'e'}.
It's difficult to remember things you didn't know  }}:-)
Where is it in TKD? (if it is there; I couldn't find it...)

> {loD vIHoH vIneH jatlh} "He said he wanted to kill the man."
>
> Notice that the person of the attributed speech isn't changed as it is in
> English.
So that's almost like <loD vIHoH vIneH> jatlh, qar'a'?

> }qech tlhaQ ghajmo' <ghotlha'> jatlh qarmob.
> }Karmob says "Follow us" because he has a good idea.
>
> I think you meant to say {QaQ} not {tlhaQ}.
I was thinking of "a funny idea", but I translated it into English as
"good", I guess. (I have to translate Dutch->Klingon, trying to
bypass English, and then Dutch->English, and sometimes I make a
mistake...)

> }bIghHa' ghoS wej.
> }The three go to the prison.
>
> Someone might argue that you can't use a number this way.  The only use of a
> number as a noun that I know we have is {wa' yIHoH} for "Kill one of them."
Hov leng wej, qar'a'?

> }loD HoH bomraq neHqu' 'ach bot qamrob.
> }Bomrak really wants to kill the man, but Kamrob prevents that.
>
> I read this as "he really wants bomraq to kill the man" and would use {loD
> HoH neHqu' bomraq} to be clear.  I can't guarantee a Klingon would hear the
> same connotations, but that's what I hear.
Hmm, I think you're right. thanks.

> }bIghHa' 'ay' loD 'elmoH.
> }He makes the man enter the prison cell.
> }  -- how should I do this sentence properly? It seems to have two
> }objects this way.
>
> Well perceived.  The solution is to use {-vaD}:
>
> loDvaD bIghHa' 'ay' 'elmoH - He makes the man enter the cell.
> puqvaD Hol ghojmoH - He teaches the child Klingon.
I don't get that. "He causes to enter the cell for the man"?
Or is {-vaD} just to mark the first object here?
And if you want to add an indirect object? (I can't think of an
example right now, and I don't know if it's possible, but if it
is...)

> }bIghHa' 'ay'Daq ghaHtaHvIS loD lojmIt ngaQmoH.
> }He locks the door while the man is in the prison cell.
>
> I don't really like this construction, but if you use it, you would have to
> say {loD'e'}.
Why? I don't see any ambiguity here (maybe "the man's door", but that
doesn't make sense to me in this context), and no reason foremphasis
either.

>  I prefer {bIghHa' 'ay' QamtaHvIS loD ...} or something else
> with an active verb rather than the to-be construction.
I made up this sentence while considering {pa'wIjDaq jIHtaH} (TKD
6.3), and didn't realize there may be a better way to express it. My
vocabulary is not that big yet :(

> }bIghHa'vo' ghoSlaHbe' loD.
> }The man can't go out of the prison.
> }
> }wo'rIv ghawran je porgh qengtaHvIS DujDaq chech qamrob bormaq je.
> }Kamrob and Bormak return to the ship with the bodies of Worf and
> }Gowron.
>
> chegh.
>
> }Qo'noSDaq chech.
> }They return to Kronos.
>
> chegh.
lutvam jIchenmoHtaHvIS chaq jIchech jIH!  }}:-)

(should {chaq} go in front of the sentence (before {lutvam}), or is
it good where it is?

/Doneq
______
reH Hegh yoHwI'pu''e'