tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 17 00:09:04 1997

Re: DOW (was Re: KLBC introducing myself) (fwd)

At 14:29 97-11-16 -0800, HovqIj wrote:
}Alan Anderson schrieb:
}> ja' muHwI':
}> >{rIvSo'} is in German the same word as {QIn}!!!
}>
}> The German translation of TKD -- "Das offizielle W�rterbuch" -- seems
}> to be lacking in precision and detail.  It gives {rIvSo'} as "Botschaft"
}> with no further explanation.
[...]
}> I found enough apparent vocabulary problems and recognizable typographical
}> errors, minor and major, to make me distrust it completely. :-(
}>
}> -- ghunchu'wI'
}>
}Well, thanks for telling me.
}If I had known of these lacks, I would have bought the original English
edition
}of TKD...even though, in some cases, I would have to use two dictionaries to
}translate a German word into tlhIngan Hol. :)

I agree.  Someone with your skill at English would be better off with the
original.  Perhaps the German speakers on this list can work on an errata
and footnote list for the German edition.

Now that I know that you are working with this edition, I'll be alert for
strange vocabulary and know why it happened.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level