tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 14 14:37:07 1997

Re: KLBC naDev jIchu'

ja' Doneq:
>[...]
>I'd like to know why the one who *did* mention that {vIt} should be a
>separate sentence, and started comparing it with clipped imperatives,
>mentioned it.

I didn't say it *should* be a separate sentence, only that *I* would
have translated it that way.  Paradoxically, I see {jatlh 'ej vIt} as
separating the two verbs' ideas, while {jatlh; vIt} seems to indicate
to me a more connected meaning.  There's really nothing I can point to
that supports my view except for the imperative examples that already
have been given.  It's basically just a feeling for how the nuances of
meaning are expressed.

>I mean, if everything should be turned into separate
>sentences, why do we have the word {'ej} in the first place?  :)

Sentence conjunctions indicate simultaneity of action, but translating
"truthfully" needs something more like simultaneity of *meaning*.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level