tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 11 07:49:56 1997

tlhoghtay

As one of the founders of a local fan organization, it has fallen to me
to be the group's linguist.  For some time now I have been a silent
participant on the thlIngan Hol e-mail list.  I only wish I had more
time to be involved, but here I go.
Last year for ValleyCon, our local sci-fi, fantasy convention, my group
performed the tlhoghtay and the nentay.  Seeing as we had an hour to
fill, the tlhogtay from House of Quark, DS9, could only be used as a
basis for our presentation.
The first of my questions has to do with the fact that I still have not
been able to satisfactorily translate the vows from that episode.  Is
there anyone who has?
The second of my questions is for advice on the ritual that we ended up
with.  My resources at that time were limited, so bear with me.
So that you may understand, there are five Klingons involved, the Grand
Admiral, Qar'Deth, the happy couple, yoj and qIrI, and their seconds,
geron and b'nera.

Qar'Deth:  vajpu' cha' tlhInganpu' batlh roSbogh tlhoghtay
wIleghmeH       naDev maH.  tlhInganpu'vam je qormey'chaj muv tlhoghtay
'ej wo'       HoSmoH tlhoghtay.  vajpu'vam 'oS 'Iv?

geron:  geron jIH, 'ej QanDuj'Sogh yojneS taI Qorn vI'oS.  targh
pa'taH    naDev ghaHtaH!
   (yoj is at this time forcibly encouraged to come forward with
oy'naQmey.)

b'nera:  b'nera jIH, 'ej QanDuj'Sogh qIrIneS SutaI QIntar vI'oS.
mIghbe'vam boj vIqem.
   (qIrI is dragged into the hall by her hair as she growls, claws and
spits not unlike a wild beast.)

   (after a fashion)
yoj:  mulaQ puQlod, yoj jIH, 'e' be'vam 'Iprar jIghoS.

qIrI:  qorDu'vo' QIntar, qIrI jIH, 'e' loDvam 'Iprar jIghoS.

Qar'Deth:  yIjatlh
(What follows is my closest guess to the lines out of House of Quark.)

gho 'e' ve' lu'cha va'be' tu'va' rIlu'  (repeated by yoj)

gho 'e' ve' lu'cha wa'be' moq'a' rIchoS   (repeated by qIrI)

roS malu'qa'
   (This pronouncement by Qar'Deth is followed by yoj taking
advantage    of his new status, followed quickly by qIrI drawing her
hand across    her mouth to remove the distaste followed by a good
belt.  Of course    in the end he does manage to drag her out of the
hall.)

Back to archive top level