tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 31 23:03:43 1997

RE: batleth

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> I believe I have traced the origin of the word "batleth". In DIvI'Hol, it is
> pronounced batleth. In tlhIngan Hol it is pronounced betleH. I believe this
> was shortened fron the words "batlh 'etlh" meaning "sword of honor." If this
> sounds stupid or obvious to you, I'm sorry. I'm only a beginner.

Actually, you're exactly right!  As the theory goes, somebody correctly
created {batlh'etlh}, but this got mangled by the actors, who pronounced it
"batleth."  This would also explain the weird spelling they give it:
"bat'telh."

This theory has been around for a while.  I'm not sure who first came up with
it, or if Marc Okrand has verified it.  (Or if I'm forgetting some obvious
source.)

We also have something close in SkyBox card S8:

yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu'.
This sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the Unforgettable.
(Literally, "While Kahless whom someone cannot forget lived, this sword of
honor had been created.")

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian