tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 31 23:03:43 1997

RE: KLBC: Sufix #9 ghach

jatlh Edy Fonseca:

> 	Another attempt to: "chevHa'ghach ghob Sov je".
> 	Virtue and Knoledge are inseparable
>
> 	But I'm not sure about (ghach) again.

{-ghach} turns verbs into nouns.  But that's not what you want to do here.
{chevHa'ghach} means (more or less) "act of putting back together again," or
perhaps the result of that action.

What you want is to say that no one can separate virtue and knowledge.  Let's
suppose for a moment that you were going say "He does not separate virtue and
knowledge" (ignoring for a moment who "he" is).

ghob Sov je chevbe'.

I used {-be'} and not {-Ha'} because all I want to say is that this is not
done, not that it is undone.  To be undone, it must first be done.  To
unseparate, they must first be separate.

Now, the subject really shouldn't be "he."  The subject is "somebody."
"Somebody (though no one in particular) does not separate virtue and
knowledge."  This is done with the suffix {-lu'}.

ghob Sov je chevbe'lu'
Someone does not separate virtue and knowledge.
(or, a better translation)
Virtue and knowledge are not separated.

--
SuStel