tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 31 23:03:50 1997

RE: Star Trek Klingon history

jatlh Edy Fonseca:

> << Star Trek >> qunvo' thlInganpu' vISovnIS.

Your original said you *wanted* to know this, this one says you *need* to know
this.  Which is it?

> HIplIj batlh ngoqlIj SuvwI'pu'
> je

"Their uniforms, their code of honor, and their warriors" all use the {-chaj}
suffix, not {-lIj}.  ({-lIj} is "your.")  Also, I'm not sure if {ngoq} "code"
refers to a moral outlook, as you are using it, or the sort of thing used for
secret messages.  I suspect the latter.  We don't really need to use it here,
though; {batlh} is enough.

HIpchaj, batlhchaj, SuvwI'pu'chaj je

This is an incomplete sentence.  You need a verb to say something complete.

HIpchaj, batlhchaj, SuvwI'pu'chaj je vIghoj vIneH
I want to learn their uniforms, their honor, and their warriors.

> 'ach
> tlhIngan Hol chenpu' <<Mr. Okrand >>.

{chen} is "take form."  This verb probably doesn't take an object.  A thing
takes form; it doesn't do anything to anything else.  What you need is the
suffix {-moH}:

tlhIngan Hol chenmoHpu' *Okrand*.
Okrand made Klingon.

> jInmol tIn 'oH vISov

It looks like you're translating a little too closely to the English.  Here,
you'd need a Sentence As Object pronoun, because this is two sentences:

jInmol tIn 'oH 'e' vISov
I know that it is a big project.

However, this isn't the best way to say this in Klingon.  Remember to think in
terms of verbs!

tIn jInmol 'e' vISov
I know the project is big.

--