tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 19:40:13 1997

Re: KLBC: Where?

On Sun, 25 May 1997 17:45:14 -0700 (PDT) McReynolds
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I was helping a friend with a guestbook, and he wanted some really basic
> Hol to go on it.  One of the things he wanted was the question "Where
> did you hear of us?" or "Where did you come from?" or something of that
> nature.  However, this one really stumped me!  The closest thing I could
> come up with was {nuqDaq bIghoS}, but that doesn't seem right when I
> translate back to English; I get "Where are you going?"  How would one
> translate this concept?
>
> -mIqIraH

As a former BG, I should certainly know to wait for the current
BG to reply. Meanwhile, you ask the kind of question I am
compelled to answer, beyond my control. I only hope SuStel can
forgive me.

When faced with this kind of problem, consider ways to recast
the idea. When you ask someone where they come from, what you
really ask is, "Where is your home?" You can easily say that in
Klingon.

When you ask, "Where did you hear about us?" you are really
asking, "Who described us for you?" You can easily say this in
Klingon. Recasting is what I do. I can't help myself.

SuStel will undoubtably have an equally useful answer for you.
Respect him. He deserves it.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level