tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 08 14:58:46 1997

RE: KLBC: 'uQpa'

[email protected] on behalf of Jim LeMaster wrote:
> yItu' waDIch De'Qu' naDev!
>
> Here is another riddle for you!
>
> (Literally: Here you find a second information-quest!)

{yItu'} is a verb, meaning "find it!"  It is not a noun.  If you really wanted
to say "information-quest," you'd say {De'Qu'}.  However, "information-quest"
wouldn't necessarily be recognizable as "riddle."

"Second" is {cha'DIch}, not {wa'DIch} (and both have apostrophes after the
number part).

Furthermore, "here is <...>" is rather idiomatic.  Where exactly is "here"?
On the screen?  What if it is spoken?  (By the way, if you *could* use
{naDev}, it would have to go at the beginning of the sentence.  {naDev}
usually goes in the same place nouns with Type 5 noun suffixes go: at the
beginning.)

This is a tough one, but I can come up with some ideas:

Satlhobqa' 'ej SujangmeH Qatlhqu'.
I ask you again and it is very difficult for you to answer.

Literally, "I ask resume asking you and in order that you answer, it is
difficult."  "It" refers to {Qu'} "task."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level