tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 09 09:20:05 1997

Re: KLBC: 'uQpa'

David Trimboli wrote:

> [email protected] on behalf of Jim LeMaster wrote:
> > yItu' waDIch De'Qu' naDev!
> >
> > Here is another riddle for you!
> >
> > (Literally: Here you find a second information-quest!)
>
> {yItu'} is a verb, meaning "find it!"  It is not a noun.

I thought that I did use it as a verb.

>If you really wanted to say "information-quest," you'd say {De'Qu'}.
>However, "information-quest" wouldn't necessarily be recognizable as "riddle."

I did use De'Qu'. I also couldn't come up with a better aproximation of
"question" than "information-quest." Not necessarily a riddle, but, I
think, a good question - word:
"I ask you a question" = "I send you on a quest to find information."

> "Second" is {cha'DIch}, not {wa'DIch} (and both have apostrophes after the
> number part).

OK - I screwed up on that one. (Worked from {faulty} memory).

> Furthermore, "here is <...>" is rather idiomatic.  Where exactly is "here"?
> On the screen?  What if it is spoken?  (By the way, if you *could* use
> {naDev}, it would have to go at the beginning of the sentence.  {naDev}
> usually goes in the same place nouns with Type 5 noun suffixes go: at the
> beginning.)

OK. Looking back and trying to implement your instructions:

naDev yItu' cha'DIch De'Qu'!

(naDev) Hereabouts (you find - imperative) yItu' (second
information-quest, acting as "it" the object of yI) cha'DIch De'Qu'.

"Here is another riddle for you" is idiomatic and the next line of
"Ompah, Lumpah, Duppity Doo!" which is not only idiomatic, but nonsense
as well.  How ever, presenting someone with something seems a concrete
action, whether it is physical or verbal.

BTW, is there a Klingon on word for "puzzle"?  "Word-puzzle" might be a
better "riddle" than "information-quest."

Qapla'!

Y'jImbo

Back to archive top level