tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 23:23:05 1997

Re: KLBC: Conversational Klingon

In a message dated 97-05-06 11:52:53 EDT, ~mark writes, discussing SuStel's
answer to KLBC:

<< >This is convoluted compared to what Klingon can do.  The most Klingon way
 >express this would be to issue a command: {HIQaH} "help me!" or even just
 >shout {QaH} "help!"  The fully drawn-out version would be {choQaH 'e'
vIpoQ}
 >"I require that you help me," but why say this?

 Yes.  "qaQaHnIS" means "You need to help me," not "I need you to help me,"
 BTW.  Also, you are likely talking to more than one person, right? >>

While I understand the first paragraph quite well (that of SuStel), I have
trouble with the second (that of ~mark).  I see {qaQaHnIS} as "I need to help
you."  What am I missing here, ~mark?

peHruS

Back to archive top level