tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 31 11:33:58 1997

Re: Rules for LaserQuest

At 06:32 AM 3/31/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Banzai wrote:
>> Since I was merely stating a fact and since future tense is interpreted by
>> context, I figured the best way to say "I will not run" was by saying
>> "jIqetbe'".  The way I interpreted "-Qo'", the sentence "jIqetQo'" would be
>> appropriate only if I had been told to run and there was no way in hell
I was
>> going to comply.  In other words, there would be a totally imperative
spirit
>> behind my *refusal* to run.
>
>"jIqetbe'" would be appropriate if you were simply saying that you do not
expect to be
>running.  I see the recital of the rule to be saying something more like,
"If someone
>(or something, such as my instincts) tells me to run I will answer, 'I
WILL NOT RUN!'"
>In other words, "jIqetQo'"

It still doesn't feel right, but that's because I have formed the wrong
impression of how to use "-Qo'".  However, I defer to the judgement of
speakers of Klingon who have more experience speaking a language and a
better feel for it than I do.  "-Qo'" it is.

Banzai

Back to archive top level