tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 31 06:17:17 1997

Re: Rules for LaserQuest

Banzai wrote:
> Since I was merely stating a fact and since future tense is interpreted by
> context, I figured the best way to say "I will not run" was by saying
> "jIqetbe'".  The way I interpreted "-Qo'", the sentence "jIqetQo'" would be
> appropriate only if I had been told to run and there was no way in hell I was
> going to comply.  In other words, there would be a totally imperative spirit
> behind my *refusal* to run.

"jIqetbe'" would be appropriate if you were simply saying that you do not expect to be
running.  I see the recital of the rule to be saying something more like, "If someone
(or something, such as my instincts) tells me to run I will answer, 'I WILL NOT RUN!'"
In other words, "jIqetQo'"

Banzai wrote:
> I would argue that Klinons can be a lot of things, but polite would not be
> one of them. :)

Any warrior society, especially one as violent as the Klingons must have politeness if
they are going to keep from killing eachother.  The problem for most Earthlings is that
Klingon politeness is very different from what they are used to.  Just look at the -neS
suffix, pure politeness.

janSIy

Back to archive top level