tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 30 14:01:03 1997

Re: Rules for LaserQuest

At 11:49 AM 3/30/97 -0800, bIjatlh,

Wow!!  I've started a discussion!! Don't laugh, I'm honestly thrilled.

Now, here is my take (although a beginner's point of view) on why I chose
to use "-be'" instead of "-Qo'".  The way I understood the definition in
TKD of "-Qo'" because TKD p. 47 says "it is the *imperative* counterpart of
"-be'"".  Since by reciting the rules back to the game marshall at
LaserQuest I am not giving him any imperative command, I figured that
"-be'" was the better choice.  Two of the three examples of "-Qo'" on p. 47
of TKD involved the useage of imperative verb prefixes, further reinforcing
my belief that "-Qo" is best used for imperatives, (and I would argue that
the middle of the three examples that does not use an imperative prefix
would work just as well, and perhaps is better suited to be used with
"-be'").  Finally, the "feel" of the meaning of "-Qo'" as I interpreted it
is that of a command ("DO NOT do that!") or a complete refusal to do
something that I have been told to do ("I WILL NOT do that!").  Since I was
merely stating a fact and since future tense is interpreted by context, I
figured the best way to say "I will not run" was by saying "jIqetbe'".  The
way I interpreted "-Qo'", the sentence "jIqetQo'" would be appropriate only
if I had been told to run and there was no way in hell I was going to
comply.  In other words, there would be a totally imperative spirit behind
my *refusal* to run.

That's my reasoning.  Opinions?

Banzai

"Gotta get me one of those cool sig lines..."

Back to archive top level