tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 20:39:16 1997

RE: KLBC&KBTP, Biblical translation

On Tuesday, March 25, 1997 2:32 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Mark E.
Shoulson wrote:

> Remember, "-vIS" needs "-taH"; they go together like a horse and carriage.
> I tend to think of "-taHvIS" as a *single* suffix, there's no suffix
> "-vIS".  This is not a perfect way of looking at it, since you do have
> "-taHneSvIS" and "-taHQo'vIS", but those are rare.

I still like my analogy: a VCR or tape recorder.

{-taH} is Play, and {-vIS} is Record.  You know how Play is always a right
(forward)-pointing arrow, and Record is a circle?  That's because Record does
only recording in one place, and Play is what drives it along.  You can play
without recording, but you cannot record without playing.  If you press
Record, Play will go down along with it.

I guess this means that {-neS} is the clock, and {-Qo'} is the channel select
. . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian