tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 20:40:04 1997

RE: RE: KLBC&KBTP, Biblical translation

On Tuesday, March 25, 1997 4:17 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> The Priest in Catholic mass is said to preside over it.  He is often called
> the Presider of the mass.  One of the meanings of <che'> is preside so,
> <che'wI'>.  A Deacon sometimes helps the Priest so, <QaDwI'>.  Or another
way
> to think of him is the lessor Presider, <che'wI'Hom>.

Right, but this is only clear if you take the time to explain it to me like
this.  If you simply walked up to me and said, "Translate {che'wI'Hom} into
English," I'd say, "Er . . . minor ruler?  Prince?  Duke?  Vice-president?"

> Now the question;
> >If you mean are these the correct terms to use?  They never were THE words.
> >They are words Nick may choose to use, but that does not make them
official,
> >or even right.
>
> Nick's translation of Mark is on the KLI web site and is in fact copy
written
> to them.  This would imply that the KLI at least accepts Nick's work and
that
> it is in some sense official.  Do I have that wrong?  Will the KLI  publish
> anything.  Aren't they responsible for the form, if not the content, of the
> things they publish?

Nick is translating things which are extremely complicated, and Klingon's
small vocabulary isn't always up to the task of keeping the same variety.  If
something is talking about "God," and Nick uses {joH'a'}, it's pretty clear,
but it's not canon.  It's not "officially" the correct word for "God," if
there even is such a thing (remember, the Klingon gods were slain long ago by
great warriors).

The KLI is not the "correct" center of the Klingon language universe.  It is
one organization, but it is not Okrand.  The KLI is not into saying "We're not
going to put this on the FTP site because it could possibly be incorrect,
though we don't know for sure."  It's Nick's interpretation, and he's entitled
to that.

Besides, since Okrand does not do much consulting for Klingon, we can't just
go up to him and say things like "What's the right word for God?"  We don't
know there *isn't* one, so we try to come up with a logical way that it could
be said.  We might even be right, after all.  And without Okrand, just whose
interpretation is "correct"?  No one's, necessarily.

If you volunteered for the KSRP, and have some skill in Klingon, I'm sure the
KLI would be greatful for your help, even if your opinions are very different
from others'.  (This I know from experience.  I've been working with Nick on
Much Ado, and we have *very* different viewpoints on the language.  But, we
compromise, because neither of us is "official."  And Nick is very willing to
listen to and possibly accept another's interpretation.  Me, I listen too,
though I'm too stubborn to admit it!)

Let me put it to you this way: if another organization published something in
Klingon, say the ILS, would I consider that "less official"?  Not at all!  I
may disagree with their interpretations, but I cannot say "I'm right and
you're wrong."

Did I answer your question?

--
SuStel