tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 18 17:59:39 1997

RE: KLBC - tlhIngan qun

On Monday, March 17, 1997 11:28 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Gerald
Borleis wrote:

> >I'm not quite sure what you mean by it, anyway.  Do you mean what Klingons
> >were doing in the years 1935-1945?  Or what Klingons were doing during
similar
> >technological periods?  Or during similar cultural periods?
>
> What Klingons were doing during the similar technological period?  And what
> they were doing during that technological period?
>
> And I am still wondering how to say *equals*, *equivalence*.

Well, there's {rap} "be the same" (not "be the same as"!), and there's {rur}
"resemble."  Or, you can use pronouns in a "to be" sentence (TKD 6.3).

Now, since there's no word for "technology" that know of, we're going to have
to recast our idea.  You *might* try {QeD poH} for "technological period," but
I don't think it'd be very understandable if you said it, unless you explained
it.

qaStaHvIS tera' yuQ noH cha' QeD'e' luSovbogh tera'nganpu' wIqel.  nuq ta'lI'
tlhInganpu', qaStaHvIS poHvam rurbogh tlhIngan QeD poH'e'?

We consider the science which Terrans know during the Second World War.  What
were the Klingons doing during a period of science which resembles this time?

This sentence is *extremely* unreadable!  This sort of idea absolutely needs
context to make it work.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian