tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 18 17:47:52 1997

RE: KLBC: ghomvaD wa'DIch jabbI'IDwIj

jatlh 'Iwvan:

> > lurgh chongDaq vIHbogh nuv lupwI' Quch
> > Happy vertical people transporter
>
> That can mean `happy transporter of [people moving in a vertical
> direction]' as well as `happy [transporter of people] moving in a
> vertical direction]', but in practice that's obviously the same thing.

The English is similarly vague.  It could mean both of those as well, although
it's not "people moving in a vertical direction," but "people oriented in a
vertical direction."

> What I'm wondering about, though, is whether {-Daq} can be used
> for `in' as in `move in a direction'.

*shrug* Of course, {-Daq} can indicate a direction of travel.  The English
word "move" simply requires English's equivalent of a Type 5 noun suffix.

> How about {He chong ghoSbogh
> nuv lupwI' Quch} `... following a vertical route'?  Or simply
> {Salbogh 'ej ghIrbogh nuv lupwI' Quch} `... going up and down'?

Both of these work, too.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian