tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 16 11:04:15 1997

RE: KLBC: First Sentences-Pretty good if I say so myself!!

On Saturday, March 15, 1997 8:48 PM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> Are these sentences correct?

For posts like this one, please remember to put KLBC in the subject line.

> thlIngan-Hol vIjathl.
> I speak the Klingon Language.

The letter is not spelled *{thl}, it's {tlh}.  It's tough to read the
backwards letters.

The Klingon Language is spelled {tlhIngan Hol}.  There is no hyphen "-".  It's
only spelled with one for the list address because that address cannot have a
space as one of its characters.

Otherwise, this is correct.

> thlIngan-Hol vIjathl'a'
> Do you speak the Klingon Language.

If it's "do YOU speak the Klingon language," you must use the correct prefix:
{Da-}.

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh'a'?

> thlingan-Hol Dajathlbe', vIyaj
> I understand, you don't speak the Klingon Language.(Do I need the comma, or
> would it be I understand THAT you don't...)

Exactly, it comes out as "I understand THAT you don't speak Klingon."  The
word for this kind of "that" is {'e'}.  See TKD 6.2.5.

Otherwise, you're okay here.

tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhbe' 'e' vIyaj.

> chomuSHa''a', vIyaj
> I understand that you do not love me.

Don't add {-'a'} here.  You can't ask a question and then say you understand.

Add {'e'} again.

In Klingon, the word for "hate, detest" is {muS}.  If you mean "I understand
that you hate me," you get

chomuS 'e' vIyaj.

If you mean "I understand that you love me," you get

chomuSHa' 'e' vIyaj.

A possible way to say "I understand that you do not love me" is

chomuSHa'be' 'e' vIyaj.

> raQ maghos'vo'
> We go from the camp.

{-vo'} is a noun suffix, and must be put on the noun being left.  Otherwise,
you're correct (but capitalize that {S}!).

raQvo' maghoS.

> rInDI' nIQ HIq vIthlutlhbe'
> After breakfast I don't drink alchohol.

maj!  If that {tlh} were spelled correctly, this would be perfect!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level