tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 16 11:04:15 1997

RE: KLBC: mu'tlheghmeyHom

jatlh qoror:

> Message text written by SuStel
> >> 4. lI'qu' Duj
> >    The ship are in perfect conditions (very usefull)
>
> Well, it does mean "The ship is very useful," but that's not the same as
> saying it is in perfect condition.  Here's how I would say that:
>
> Duj leHlu'chu'pu'
> The ship has been maintained perfectly.
>
> It's a bit complex, but I think it says what you mean.<
>
> No, I don't think so.  *Duj leHlu'chu'pu'*  sounds more like praising the
people
> who run it.  "The ship is in perfact condition" is praising the ship, not
the
> owners.  --qoror

Using {-lu'} really does shift attention from the people to the ship.  Say it
out loud in Klingon, thinking about the meaning.

But, if you would like another alternative . . .

Qapchu' Duj.
The ship works perfectly.

Or another:

Sabpu'be' Duj
The ship has not deteriorated.

And another:

Duj QIHbe'lu'pu'
The ship has not been damaged.

See?  You've just got to think of alternate ways to word it.  There's very
little that cannot be said in Klingon, even with its limited vocabulary.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level