tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 16 11:23:40 1997

RE: KLBC - HIqImqu'

On Saturday, March 15, 1997 11:49 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Gerald
Borleis wrote:

> tlhIngan qun vInejlI'qu'
> Hoch HIja' choSov
>
> I'm looking for Klingon history.
> Tell me all that you know.

You've said *{Hoch HIja' choSov}, which doesn't quite work.

"Everything which you know"

This requires a relative clause; see TKD 6.2.3.

Hoch boSovbogh
Everything which you know

(I used the prefix {bo-} because I assume that you're not just talking to me,
but to the entire list.)

Now, you need to "tell me" that.  "Tell it to me"

jIHvaD Hoch boSovbogh yIja'
Tell everything which you know to me.

If we indicate direct objects with prefixes, it's

Hoch boSovbogh HIja'.

> I am most interested in the Klingon era equivalent to Earth years 1935-1945.
> (This last sentence was not translated because I could not find a way to
> express *equivalnet*.  Suggestions wanted.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean by it, anyway.  Do you mean what Klingons
were doing in the years 1935-1945?  Or what Klingons were doing during similar
technological periods?  Or during similar cultural periods?

It's a bit tough to indicate all the time beginning with a specific time and
ending with a specific time.  One is tempted to use {joj}, but that probably
refers to a spatial reference, not a temporal one.

You could say things like

qaSpa' tera' DIS wa' Hut loS vagh, qaStaHvIS wa'maH tera' DIS, nuq luta'lI'
tlhInganpu'?
Before the Terran year 1945, during ten Terran years, what were Klingons
accomplishing?

This is a bit strained, though.

Please specify exactly what you meant.

--