tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 15 21:51:53 1997

RE: some tidbits qororvo'

jatlh qoror:

> 	qoror here.  As the subject line states, I have some tidbits.  They're
> all translations, and I'll print them here.  In case you're wondering, I
have
> three.  Here they are.

qoror, you're a relative newcomer here, but you seem to have a decent grasp on
the language, so I'll assume you intentionally did not post this as KLBC.
I'll leave it to others to critique this, therefore, but I'd like to make a
point or two.

> 	This first one is a battle song about the battle of Buena Vista.  (I
> translated "Buena Vista" as "bIwena' vISta'," "Taylor," the American
general, as
> "teylor," and Santa Anna, the Mexican general, as "Santa' 'anna'."

Transliteration on the list is generally a Bad Thing.  People already have a
hard enough time reading Klingon, why make them trip over names that have
never even been spoken by Klingons?

See the FAQ, http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm#2.7

> 	Some of you probably noticed that there was something ungrammatical in
> the first verse, and you're right.  There's no word "vIp."  I was using a
verb
> suffix as a verb, because there's no word for "to be afraid" or "fear."  But
> hey, these are soldiers!  (I don't think they'd stick to grammaticality.)

Why not?  The word you want is {ghIj} "scare."  Just add {-lu'}!

For example, {tIqDu'maj ghIjbe'lu'bogh} "our hearts which one cannot scare."

> 	And one last tidbit:
>
> 	yInenchoH!				Grow up!

majQa'!

--