tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 15 21:51:54 1997

RE: KLBC: ghomvaD wa'DIch jabbI'IDwIj

jatlh qoror:

> >"Move horizontaly" is <nech>. There is no word for vertical movement.<
>
> How about "lurgh chongDaq vIH?"

majQa'!  I didn't know the word {lurgh}!  That's good!

> And, doing that, I might try, for "Happy
> Vertical People Transporter," "nuvpu' lurgh chongDaq vIHbogh lupwI' Quch,"
or
> literally, "a happy transporter of people which moves in a vertical
direction."

Well, I don't like your word order here.  I think we're using
"people-transporter" as the starting noun phrase, so I'd call that {nuv
lupwI'}.  (Conversational Klingon uses {lupwI'} for "jitney," but maybe it can
also be more general, and be used like this.  Certainly, it matches the funny
sound of the original.)

So, we get

lurgh chongDaq vIHbogh nuv lupwI' Quch
Happy vertical people transporter

One thing that's necessary is that you have to be able to use {-Daq} phrases
on relative clauses.  I don't know if we can, but I would suppose so.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level