tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 15 10:33:27 1997

Re: vertical and horizontal

Last night I wrote:

||jatlh SuStel:
||>In "Happy Vertical People Transporter," the "vertical" is referring to the
||>direction which the lift travels.  I'm not sure that {chong} means "move
||>vertically," it means "be vertical."  I seem to remember that there's a verb
||>meaning "move horizontally," but I can't remember what it is, and I can't
||>find it. Does anyone know it?  And do you know if there's also one "move
||>vertically"?  I kinda doubt it.
||"Move horizontaly" is <nech>. There is no word for vertical movement.
||-HurghwI'
|
|There are four such verbs, actually...
|Sal	"ascend"
|toS	"climb" - defined on MSN as "to move upward"
|ghIr	"descend"
|pum	"fall" - defined on MSN as "to move downward without restraint
|	(due to gravity)"

Another vertical verb to keep in mind:

yoy	"be upside down"

... and another horizontal movement verb:

Don	"be parallel, go parallel to"

And, of course, there's always taH "be at a negative angle" -- whatever
that's supposed to mean!

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level