tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 14 21:47:43 1997

vertical and horizontal

|jatlh SuStel:
|>In "Happy Vertical People Transporter," the "vertical" is referring to the
|>direction which the lift travels.  I'm not sure that {chong} means "move
|>vertically," it means "be vertical."  I seem to remember that there's a verb
|>meaning "move horizontally," but I can't remember what it is, and I can't
|>find it. Does anyone know it?  And do you know if there's also one "move
|>vertically"?  I kinda doubt it.

|"Move horizontaly" is <nech>. There is no word for vertical movement.

|-HurghwI'

There are four such verbs, actually. In Klingon you have to specify in
which vertical direction you're moving. I'm surprised you didn't find them
since you remembered that {nech} was listed in TKD as "lateral, be lateral,
move laterally." (Frankly, I wouldn't have thought of that.)

Sal	"ascend"
toS	"climb" - defined on MSN as "to move upward"

ghIr	"descend"
pum	"fall" - defined on MSN as "to move downward without restraint
	(due to gravity)"

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level