tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 11 05:15:08 1997

{yaS qIpbogh puq} (Re: chay' qagh bovut?)

Steven Boozer wrote:
> Hmmm... pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq "boiling worm wine" (PK). Is that:
>  1.  pubtaHbogh gharghHIq   "boiling "worm-wine" (worm-wine which has
> been boiled or served hot, somewhat like Terran sake)?
>  2.  pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq  "boiling-worm wine" (wine that contains a
> boiled worm, somewhat like Terran tequila)?

I understand it as the former on pragmatic grounds (it's boiling worms,
not boiled ones), but structurally it could be either, couldn't it?
Though I hardly think there are any canonical examples of noun-noun
constructions where the possessor is the head of a relative clause.
What do people think of {yaS qIpbogh puq} -- is it likewise ambiguous
between `the child that hit the officer' (and `the officer that the
child hit') and `the child of the officer whom he hit' (short for
{yaS qIpbogh ghaH puq})?

--'Iwvan

--
"reH Sov yInej 'ej Dap yImuS,          <dOstI bA mardom-e dAnA nEkO-st,
 jagh val qaq law' jup QIp qaq puS"     do^sman-e dAnA beh az nAdAn dOst>

Back to archive top level