tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 22:21:47 1997

RE: KLBC: Sentences

jatlh Mago:

> bIlugh! qarbe' mu'tlheghwIj. 'oH vIchoH:
> (You're right! My sentence isn't accurate. I've changed it:)

{choH} means something changes, not that something changes something else.  To
say that, you need {-moH}.

'oH vIchoHmoH
I changed it.

Since you've already done it, you might want to say

'oH vIchoHmoHta'
I have changed it.

> yIn Dajuvchugh DIStIlo'Qo' 'ach tlhInganpu' yaymey tIlo'
> (Life is not measured in years, but for the Klingon's triumphs!
> ie, "If you measure life don't use years but Klingon's triumphs"... I
> hope this get over the ambiguity!)

It's good.  I'd drop the {'ach}.  It seems more the sort of thing that belongs
in statements, not commands.  "Don't use years if you measure life, however
use Klingons' victories."  See?  If you just said

yIn Dajuvchugh DIS tIlo'Qo'.  tlhInganpu' yay tIlo'.

it is much clearer, I think.

> DaH qar 'oH 'e' Daqub'a'
> (Do you think it's OK now?)

{Qub} is "think."  {qub} is "be rare."  Careful!

HIja'.  majQa'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian