tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 22:05:30 1997

RE: KLBC: cholugh, please

jatlh Edy:

> > jIHvaD "Edy" yIpong
> > Call me Edy.
>
> > "Edy" HIpong.
> > Call me Edy.
>
> 	:)))  The ways to say the samething!! :))  In this case, I can
> use the 2 forms, right?

Yes, you can use either one of these.  They mean the same thing.

> > > Hoch mupuqwI' (I'm reading the TKD. It is my best friend)
> >
> > {puq} is a noun, not a verb.  You cannot use verb prefixes on it.  "My
best
> > friend" is a little tricky.
> >
> > "My friend" is {jupwI'} (though a case could be made to say {jupwIj} since
> > you're talking about a book).  How can you indicate that this friend is
closer
> > to you than any other?  Well, you could say the whole thing out as an
> > explanation:
> >
> > jupwI' 'oH mu'ghomwI''e'.  jIHvaD 'oH potlh law' Hoch potlh puS.
> > My dictionary is my friend.  To me, it is the most important thing there
is.

> > Or you could be a little more vague:
> >
> > jupwI' potlhqu'
> > My very important friend.
> >
> > There are other ways this might be said.
>
> 	Can I say:  mu'ghomwI''e'. jupwI' potlhqu'  (?)

Well, no.  It's not a complete sentence.  What you *can* do is use this in a
"to be" expression.  You've almost got it now:

jupwI' potlhqu' 'oH mu'ghomwIj'e'.
My dictionary is my best friend.

(I don't like the idea of imagining the dictionary is a person.  Better stick
with an inanimate object.  Use {-wIj}.)

If you're unsure of how I got this, look at TKD 6.3.

> > > Scientist discovered the first sign in a meteor falled in a planet.
> >
> > Ummm . . . what do you mean by this exactly?  The first sign of life?  In
> > meteor which has fallen to Earth?
>
> 	That was an article I read in a scientific magazine, then I would
> like to translate some parts in order to learn a bit more.

Hmmm . . . unless it's Reader's Digest with a particularly easy to translate
selection, you'd better stick with your own thoughts, or at least something
non-scientific.  We don't know much about Klingon science, or their scientific
terms.

> As there is
> nobody here in my city who knows klingon, I have to learn myself. :))
> My friends call me an excentric man ... but ... I'm not here to discut
> this :))

It's okay.  I'm sure almost everyone on this list is in exactly the same
situation!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian