tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 22:22:07 1997

RE: KLBC: De'wI' mu'mey

jatlh HurghwI':

> I've been working on making my desktop more Klingon, and I've come up with
> the following translations for various icons:

Yes, this has been done before, though I don't remember the subject it's under
in the archives.

> De'wI'wIj - My Computer

Obviously.

> qawHaq - Hard Drive

Yeah.

> De' polwI'Hom - Diskette

Hmmm . . . that's a new one, I think.

> De' gho boch - CD/ROM

Heh . . . that's cute!

> De' polwI' - Removable Disk

Considering that you've got {De' polwI'Hom} for "diskette," it seems as if you
are making {De' polwI'} "removable disk" the "default" word.

> veQ polwI' - Recycle Bin

I like {veQ ngaSwI'} myself.

> De' *chem* lengwI' - Internet Explorer (I know <chem> isn't a word, it was
> the closest I found)

"Internet" is a name, why not just keep it that way?  {Internet lengwI'}?
{Internet nejwI'}

Or, explain the concept:  {qo' De'wI' pat lengwI'}

> ghom - Directory (i.e. Program Group)

Could be.

> HablI' - Eudora

I see {HablI'} as the modem, and {jabbI'ID labwI'} as the mail program.

> jabbI'ID - E-mail message

Of course.

> De'Hom - file

I've also seen {De'ghom}, and an argument on which should use {ghom}, folders
or files.

> chuSwI' - speakers

Yeah.

> pat Qap - OS

Huh?  This doesn't make sense.  Maybe {SeHmeH pat}.

Since there are so few Klingon speakers scattered around, I don't think you
have to worry about another not understanding your particular choice of
terminology.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian