tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 04 15:27:19 1997

Re: UNO & colors & sight

>Jim LeMaster ([email protected]) wrote:

>I don't quite know where it started, but I've got the impression that
>that Klingon eyes are not well suited to "Earth normal" RGB colors...

>Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:
>
> Simply because a culture doesn't have separate names for . . .
> two distinct colors should not suggest that they cannot
> perceive the difference between them.  . . . so I
> would take a step back before inferring either perceptual or
> physiological ramifications
>
> There was an excellent article on this subject in a back issue of HolQeD

Is there anyplace that I could get a copy of that article?  (I don't
want to infer that I am asking anyone to key an entire article here.)
Could I order that issue of HolQeD?  Otherwise, if someone could make a
copy and send it to me (my expense), I know a real good overnight
delivery company ;-))

An aside, I once worked as an engineer on a sorting system that used
red, green and blue inks to identify various grades of lumber.  In an
Oregon plant, they had installed all sodium (orange) lights.  Red became
invisible and green & blue both became black!!

On the red-sun, green sky world of Q'onoS, would color perception be a
strong evolutionary plus?  Just a thought.

Back to archive top level