tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 05 03:18:26 1997

Re: UNO & colors

jatlh Joel:
>On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:
>
>> Simply because a culture doesn't have separate names for what you might
>> label as two distinct colors should not suggest that they cannot
>> perceive the difference between them.
>
>Yes!  I've always liked this as an example of the alien-ness
>of Klingons.  I'd doubt that we'd see them use the colors
>Blue, Green and Yellow distinctly (as we appear to see them do)
>if they couldn't perceive them.

Just because we call a whole range of colors, from pale to dark to greenish
to purplish, "blue," does that mean we can't differentiate between them?
I'm with the folks that think they have shades, like <bIQ SuD>, <ngem SuD>,
etc. (maybe not these specific words, but you get the idea).

>I remember that HolQeD article, but don't see it in the index at
>www.kli.org. When was that, and can someone summarize?

lutbogh DabuS 'oHchugh lutvam 'e' vISovbe', 'ach:
	cha' leghmeH mu' (colors, I know this is not entirely legal) ghajbogh
Holmey tu'pu' tejpu', 'ach buvmoHtaH mu' tuj ghap mu' bIr. wa' mu'Daq mu'
tej je mu' bIr ghajmo' tlhIngan Hol, nov 'oH.

-HurghwI'

Back to archive top level