tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 04 14:50:43 1997

RE: Translation

jatlh Jaclyn Carnegie:

> I'd like it if more people would provide English translation for those of
> us who are not yet fluent speakers of Klingon. Most of the e-mail I recieve
> is useless to me because I can't understand 75 percent of it.

I learned Klingon, not just by those engaged in linguistic discussions
(indeed, I paid little attention to those at first), but by translating
everything!  Sometimes the messages would be too much and too long, so I just
translated everything I could, and stopped when I was tired.  Sometimes I'd
print out one long message, and take it with me, to translate in free moments
(great to do on busses!).  charghwI' was the usual author of these pieces, and
he rarely included an English translation.  By not always having a
translation, you *have* to correctly translate in order to understand, and
that's what you're working for!

So, if we're working in KLBC my sentences will either be short or accompanied
by a translation.  Beginners using KLBC should always include translations of
what they're trying to say.  But the rest of the list should be free to speak
in Klingon without having to translate into English!  Many of us can *think*
in Klingon, and it would spoil our conversation if we had to stop and do it
all over again in English!  Especially since some of the style will most
likely be lost.

Keep working!  Soon you'll be able to read without a translation provided.
It'll be slow at first, but practice will cure that!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level