tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 14:46:04 1997

Re: qechmeywIj law'qu' vIlab

On Sat, 1 Mar 1997 [email protected] wrote:

|3) Variation on "Live Long & Prosper"
|   Just an observation: The 2-hour long Star Trek 25th anniversary special on
|t.v. (it was on more than 5 years ago, so you might not remember. I have it
|on tape, but I think it may also be in the KLI archives) was hosted by
|William Shatner & Leonard Nimoy.  Because ST:VI TUC was coming out then,
|there were some segments on the special about the movie.
|   At one point, Nimoy introduces a brief section of the show about Klingon
|by saying that the Klingon way of saying "Live long & prosper"  is <yItaH 'ej
|yIcheptaH.> A brief interview with Marc Okrand follows, where Marc talks
|about how he had to invent the verb <taH.> The accuracy of Nimoy's grammar &
|pronunciation when he says <yItaH 'ej yIcheptaH,> as well as the fact that
|the creators of the program actually came in contact with Okrand, suggests to
|me that Okrand created this phrase and is therefore valid tlhIngan Hol canon.
|Of course, the LLAP translation that we've also been given, <yIn nI'
|Daghajjaj 'ej bIchepjaj>, is also valid, although not as verb-oriented as
|most Klingon translations.

Dajqu' ngoDvam.  I never saw the 25th Anniversary special. Did you (or
anyone else out there in cyberspace) ever transcribe Okrand's interview
and, if so, would you be willing to post it in this forum? I have other
Okrand interviews from a variety of sources I'd be willing to share in
return.

|   bIj - In the ST interactive VCR boardgame "A Klingon Challenge," Kavok
|(the same actor who plays Gowron) pronounces this as "beeedj." However, based
|on the rest of the tlhIngan Hol used in this game, Okrand probably didn't
|coach him.

Same question. Could you share with us any other tlhIngan Hol used in the
game? Since it came from an authorized source and was produced with
Paramount's full cooperation, I'd like to add it to my files regardles of
its "Okrand-icity". I've seen ads for this for several years now but I've
never been in contact with anyone who ever bought and played it. At $50+
bucks, it's a bit pricey for my budget. How is it? Who else is in it?  It
looks like this was loosely based on the events of the first season episode
"Heart of Glory" and I wonder if this was Robert O'Reilly's debut as a
Klingon prior to his first appearance as Gowron in "Reunion".

|tlhonchaj chIljaj jaghpu'ra'
|-taD

jaghpu'lI' DaghIjjaj!

-- Voragh