tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 19:43:56 1997

RE: KLBC story: ram HoH

ja' Qov:
>...Add
>"Killing is trivial" and "Night Killing" to your list of possibilities. Qov
>smiles.  "I like titles."

I found the multiplicity of interpretations here very appealing, myself.

[ja'pu' SuStel:]
>>>  qut HurghDaq HuS poHHom naQ.
>>Metaphor or no, I'm not sure I understand this.  "A whole moment hangs in a
>>dark crystal."

SuStel, you don't seem to be tuned in to Qov's style, that's all.
Most of the places that confuse you are quite clear to me, anyway.

>>"Because they did not expect to find two people on one mat, when they killed
>>my love they left."  Did I understand that right?  I seem to be missing the
>>context necessary to fully understandhus leaving you alive?

I got the context without difficulty, though it was actually later in the
story that the darkness was made explicit.

>Exactly. Hurghqu' ram 'e' yIqaw. wa' Hugh luSam.  wa' Hugh luSIj.  jIratlh.
>I was thinking cot, not mat, though.

The exact translated word is unimportant to the story, but for what it's
worth, I was reminded of something closer to a sleeping bag than a bed with
legs.

>>The thing about metaphors is that the listener has to realize
>>that you ARE using a metaphor.
>
>True in any language. I spent ages trying to understand "Lucy in the Sky
>with Diamonds."

When a thing does not make literal sense, it's a pretty good bet that it's
not intended literally. :-)

>QaghDI' qonwI' yajlaHbe' po'wI' taghwI' je.

machchugh Qaghmey, yajlaHqu' po'wI'.  'ach mISbej taghwI'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level