tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 27 00:03:28 1997

RE: KLBC story: ram HoH

At 09:22 PM 6/26/97 -0700, you wrote:

>jatlh Qov:
>
>> ram HoH
>
>Now, do you mean "He kills at night," or "He kills the night?"  After reading
>the story, it looks like you mean "They kill at night."  I suppose you're
>taking advantage of the extreme vagueness of this phrase to use it as a title
>without giving anything away.

Do not forget, SuStel, that HoH is also a noun, and ram is also a verb. Add
"Killing is trivial" and "Night Killing" to your list of possibilities. Qov
smiles.  "I like titles."  Sometimes I think of a title and then have to
find a story to go with it.

>>  qut HurghDaq HuS poHHom naQ.
>
>Metaphor or no, I'm not sure I understand this.  "A whole moment hangs in a
>dark crystal."

Perhaps for clarity I should have said <poHHomvam>. Your translation is
accurate, but I prefer the translation:  "The entire moment is suspended in
dark crystal."  I see one of those souvenir glass domes, with a scene
inside, only loaded with macabre foreboding instead of fake snow.

>> bangwI' vIchoqlaHbe'pu'. raQ Hubmey ngerDI' HIvwI'pu'
>
>{nger} is the noun "theory," not a verb.  Which verb did you mean?

HIvqa' veqlargh.  I intended <ngep>.

>> pay' Dat SuvwI'pu' qIj.
>
>There no verb in this sentence.  (Well, there is one, but it's acting
>adjectivally, so it doesn't count.)  {pay' Dat SuvwI'pu' qIj tu'lu'}.

bIlugh. In my mind Dat meant 'be everywhere.' (jIqun'egh: mu'ghom yIlo', Qov.)

>> latlhpu' Haw' 'e' lunIDtaHvIS HoH.
>I think you may have goofed a bit on the sentence order.  If you had said:
>
>Haw' latlhpu' 'e' lunIDtaHvIS HoH
>While the others tried to flee, they killed them,
>
>then I'd understand it.

Yep. I think I started with <latlhpu' HoH, Haw'taHvIS> and then decided to
rearrange it, but stopped halfway.

>> wa' QongDaqHomDaq cha' nuv tu' 'e' lupIHbe'mo' bangwI' luHoHDI'
>> mej.
>
>"Because they did not expect to find two people on one mat, when they killed
>my love they left."  Did I understand that right?  I seem to be missing the
>context necessary to fully understand.  Or do you mean that the thought there
>was only one person on such a small mat, killed whomever was visible, and
>didn't know that you were there too, thus leaving you alive?

Exactly. Hurghqu' ram 'e' yIqaw. wa' Hugh luSam.  wa' Hugh luSIj.  jIratlh.
I was thinking cot, not mat, though.

>The thing about metaphors is that the listener has to realize
>that you ARE using a metaphor.

True in any language. I spent ages trying to understand "Lucy in the Sky
with Diamonds."

>> PS: Silly beginners for actually ENCOURAGING me to write stories.
>Why?

'cause I'll just keep writing them now until I start seeing comments about
how they wish that damned Qov person would stop spamming them.  And the
stories will get weirder. Wait for an upcoming one with the warning: Casual
Violence and Disgusting Imagery.

> This one might have been a bit too tough for KLBC.

Hmm. Qatlh qechmey 'ach Qatlhqu'be pab.  'ej tIqbe'. QaghmeywIjmo' jItlhIj.
QaghDI' qonwI' yajlaHbe' po'wI' taghwI' je.

Back to archive top level