tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 19:44:03 1997

Re: KLBC: proper use of meQ - burn

ja'pu' HetaQ:
> vaj [Paramount] DISuvmeH matay' chaq 'e' vIpIH'a'

ja' SuStel:
>Since "Paramount" is a singular noun, you need {wI-}, not {DI-}.

Some consider corporations to be plural.  Which is appropriate:
"Paramount Pictures presents..." or "Paramount Pictures present..."?
The answer is not definitive; global usage differs.

>I'm not sure exactly why you've used both {chaq} and {-'a'}.  Either ask a
>question or suggest something.  Don't suggest a question!

nuqjatlh?  This looks good to me.  Did you misread {chaq} as {chup}?

>> qeylIS mupwI' luqaDvIpjaj jaghmaj jay'
>
>The only question now is exactly who is the enemy you refer to.  If it's
>"Paramount," then {jaghmaj} is fine.  Paramount is an organization, a thing.
>If the subject is "they," which it must be since you've used the prefix
>{lu-},
>then you must say {jaghma'}.  They can speak, after all.

Again, maybe an organization is plural.  I don't have any problem thinking
of it that way, though I probably would consider it singular.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level