tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 22:07:36 1997

RE: KLBC: Klingon desktop items

ja'pu' qarnoS:
> Klingon: tlhIngan Holvam mu'ghom
> English: The Klingon (Language) Dictionary

ja' SuStel:
>maj.

'ach qatlh <-vam> lo'lu'?

I'm having slight difficulty with a type 4 suffix on the second noun of a
pair.  "The Klingons' this language" doesn't settle right in my brain, but
I'm sure it will if I think about it long enough.  "This language of the
Klingons" sounds better -- there, I knew it would be okay. :-)  But it
probably doesn't mean what qarnoS wants.

Why did you put {-vam} here, qarnoS?

ja'pu' je qarnoS:
> I would also like to hear your thoughts on how to say "Internet",
>"Microsoft"
> and "Mail / message"

ja' SuStel:
>"Internet" and "Microsoft" are both proper nouns (though I've heard lots of
>ideas for "Internet") and need not be translated.  See the FAQ section on
>names.

I like {De'wI'mey rarbogh} for "Internet", myself.  And I have occasionally
indulged in "translating" Microsoft as {*machqu'tun}, but mostly as a joke.

>"Mail" is easily {jabbI'ID} "data transmission."

Or, depending on exactly what you want to focus on, it could be {ghItlh}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level