tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 22 14:00:26 1997

RE: KLBC: Klingon desktop items

jatlh qarnoS:

> nuqneH (Well, the dictionary says it's a greeting ;-) )

My own take on this is that it's a greeting used by a Klingon who actually
wants to know what the intruder wants.  I don't use it when entering a room,
but I do use it answering the phone (well, when I know the person calling
speaks Klingon) and if another Klingon speaker enters the room.

> I have undergone the task of creating a Windoze desktop in which EVERYTHING
> is
> in Klingon. I am hoping it will help be learn the language. I have
translated
> a couple of things but would like to run them through you since they are
> probably wrong:
>
> Klingon: tlhIngan Holvam mu'ghom
> English: The Klingon (Language) Dictionary

maj.

> Klingon: tlhIngan mu'mey ngaSbe' tlhIngan Holvam mu'ghom
> English: Klingon words not in the Klingon (Language) Dictionary

This is actually a complete sentence, meaning "this Klingon language does not
contain Klingon words."  Not exactly try, I'm afraid!

You need a relative clause (TKD 6.2.3):

tlhIngan Hol mu'mey'e' ngaSbe'bogh tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom
Klingon language words which The Klingon Dictionary does not contain

You could use a complete sentence like this:

mu'meyvam ngaSbe' tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom
The Klingon Dictionary does not contain these words.

> Klingon: De'wI'wij
> English: My computer

maj.  Just capitalize the {I}.

> I would also like to hear your thoughts on how to say "Internet",
"Microsoft"
> and "Mail / message"

"Internet" and "Microsoft" are both proper nouns (though I've heard lots of
ideas for "Internet") and need not be translated.  See the FAQ section on
names.

"Mail" is easily {jabbI'ID} "data transmission."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level