tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 22 17:31:55 1997

Re: KLBC: Klingon desktop items

Michael writes:

>The translation for nuqneh is "What do you want?." My question is how can
>nuqneH be
>considered a greeting?
>

>Qapla'.

Easy, Michael - it's Klingon! When I ask, "How are you," that doesn't mean I
REALLY want that specific information - it is a customary English greeting.
Similarly, since Klingons demand of accuracy as much as we revel in amiguity,
they want specifics. nuqneH cuts to the chase.

In the case you responded to, it was misused. A person approached by someone
would say nuqneH - a person requesting a conversation would likely say
qajatlh, I speak with you.

Qapla' Dachavjaj je,

Qermaq

Back to archive top level