tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 15:04:27 1997

RE: Expressing age.

[email protected] on behalf of Donald E. Vick wrote:

> David Trimboli wrote:
> > Marc Okrand himself has used the {bogh} example, though he also added the
> > aspect suffix {-pu'}, for reasons which he has not explained yet (I did
> > ask).
>
>      It's appropriate, in that you were born, you are finished being
> born, and the action is definitely complete.

Bah.  I could just as truthfully say

wa'Hu' jIboghpu'

and we still haven't learned anything.

>  Also, I seem to remember
> him mentioning that the -pu' suffix was originally intended to be past
> tense before he abandoned tense altogether.

I remember this as well, but that is irrelevant.  Whatever may have been going
through Okrand's mind originally, what we HAVE is a language without tense.
Therefore, whatever time context you add at the beginning is all that matters.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level